13 June 2010

One Way Ticket to Disneyland

There was a day in my life that was perfect. Or rather, looking back on it I can now say, was perfect. To be honest, most days I remember are this way, even now.

I was a young child, living carefree in this world beside my brother, mother and father. We were living in California at the time, somewhere around some beach (the details don't really matter when you're seven and all you care about is how many hours are in the day to play). My dad and I were flying a kite and he was trying to take an "artsy" photo looking up the string I held in my hands. Everything was good. Life was good.

This is the day that the family joke "A one way ticket to Disneyland" came into play as my brother and I were eating Twix bars. For some reason, (and again the details are hazy) from that day on, the Twix bar became that one way ticket to Disneyland. The Happiest Place on Earth that I have had the pleasure of visiting 25 times in my life.

I guess the story doesn't really matter. It is what I am trying to get at that does.

It is what you get in this world. It is those times. It is that joy, that eternal joy. That is what we get and we must hold on to that and appreciate it. It is in these moments that our lives are defined as perfect. Perfectly imperfect really, but it is the beauty of our moments that make up our lives.

In that one day, things could have gone differently. Something could have been better or gone more smoothly. But it is not these things we remember. Because all in all, none of that matters. It is the joy, the perfectness of that day that we remember. The little things are the details that "could have been better," but who wants to sweat the small stuff in life?

Things will not always be perfect, nor go according to the plan we have mapped out. Things will always be imperfect by nature, really. But that is what life is and that is why it is so beautiful. You can wish for someone or something to be different, but in the end, they are themselves and doing their best and we shall love them (or it) for the way that they are. Love is imperfect and always will be. It will guide us through these moments in life, these perfect days.

The beauty is in the imperfection that make all of our days a perfect miracle in this life. What life throws at you is meant to happen. It may not make sense at the time but it is perfect in plan. Taking even the hard times into consideration, if we do not remember each day as perfect, what do we have?

No comments:

Post a Comment